top of page


Q. How do I obtain a copy of an accident report?

A. You should have been given an exchange slip from the investigating officer. In most cases, this can be given to your insurance company to get the claims process started and should be all you need. In order to personally obtain a copy of the DMV certified crash report, you will need to complete the request section on the exchange form and mail it to the DMV at the listed address on the form.  If you would like to obtain an uncertified copy (not to be used in any legal proceedings), click here to request a copy of your report. Please allow up to 7 days for the report to be approved by a supervisor and entered into the DMV Crash Reporting System.

Q. I need a copy of my incident investigations report for insurance purposes. When can I get that?

A. If you need a copy of an investigative report for insurance purposes you can request a copy of a "Property Loss Verification Report". This is available usually within 5-7 days from the time your report was taken. It will indicate what you reported and the basic information about the case. We do not release narratives and complete investigation reports on active cases or those pending trial.


Q.I need to be fingerprinted for a job application. Where can I do that?

A. We do not do applicant fingerprint cards. You can check with the Carteret County Sheriff's Office located on Craven St in Beaufort NC, Morehead City Police Department, or Havelock Police Dept, where they have an automated fingerprint system. You will need to call these agencies first as most have certain times that they do these and costs associated with completing the cards.


Q. How do I find out what is being done with my case?

A. You should first contact the Officer that took your initial case using our contact us page via email or voice mail. Our Officers work rotating shifts, please allow time for a response. If you do not know who took your initial case, or you if wish to speak directly to a Detective, you may do so using our contact us page.


Q. How do I get a copy of my driving/criminal record?

A. You can contact the Carteret County Clerk of Court or visit the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts website to obtain further information, or you may utilize some of the internet record checks commercially available. We can not provide you a copy of either.  Additionally, you have the right to review information on your criminal record, which is maintained by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the FBI.  Please contact the SBI for further details on how to obtain a copy of your criminal record check.


Q. I received a citation. Where can I go to pay it?

A. You can go to the Carteret County Magistrates Office located on Craven St in Beaufort, NC. You can also pay on-line at   


Q. I received a citation. Can I reschedule the court date?

A. You will need to contact the Carteret County District Attorney's Office at 252-504-4500 to request the change.


Q. Does my child need to be in a safety seat?

A. Click on the link for child safety seat info

Q. Who handles Animal Control Issues?

A. The Town of Newport does not have an Animal Control Officer. We rely on the Carteret County Animal Control to assist us with these issues. If you have an immediate concern contact the Police Department or CC Animal Control at 252-728-8585. If you have a concern about a Rabid animal contact the Police Dept. or CC Animal Control. If you have issues with snakes, foxes, racoons, or other wildlife you can contact the Carteret County Health Dept. at 252-728-8550 and they can provide a list of Wildlife Damage Control Agents here in the County.


Q. Does the Town of Newport have a leash law?

A. Yes, Any animal will be deemed At-Large when it is off the property of it's custodian and not under restraint as defined here.

Restraint : An animal is under restraint within the meaning of this article if :

It is controlled by means of a chain, leash, or like device

It is on or within a vehicle being driven or parked, or it is within a secure enclosure.


Q. I'm going to be out of town, will the police department check on my residence?

A. Yes, The Newport Police Department has a Residential Check Program. Simply complete the form and drop it by the PD.


Q. I'm traveling out of town or returning back to Newport, how do I find out about road conditions?

A. You can click here for the Drive NC webpage and search by county, city or address.


Q. Does my event require a Special Event permit?

A. You should view the Special Event Policy and application on our forms page. Pay special attention to the timeline requirements for your class of event.


Q. How do I get a restraining order or domestic violence protection order?

A. The Newport Police Department cannot issue such orders. These are considered court orders and a Judge must issue them. If you are in need of one of these you will need to contact the Carteret County Clerk of Courts Office in Beaufort NC, at 252-504-4400 or click here for more info.


Q. I have an alarm system what do I need to do now?

A. ALL alarms are required to be registered with the Town. Please review the Alarm Ordinance and Registration info on our forms page. Alarms NOT registered are subject to increased fines!


Q. How do I compliment an officer on their performance?

A. You can use our forms page or call the police department at 252-223-5410.


Q. How do I file a complaint on an officer?

A. All complaints are taken seriously. They are investigated and coordinated by the Chief of Police. For this reason we do not accept complaints through emails or phone calls. To file a complaint you will need to appear in person at the Police Department located at 255 Howard Blvd and complete a formal complaint to initiate the process.

bottom of page